25 years of age or under?
Thursday, Friday and Saturday – the 6th, 7th and 8th of April 2017. Key dates in the Institute of Ideas calendar.
They are also the dates of the Institute’s forthcoming event, designed to attract young people between 18 and 25 years, who are interested in winning a chance to join the debate about freedom.
The debating school, to be held at ACCENT London, 12 Bedford Square, London WC1B 3JA, includes a series of lectures across the days of the event, as well as debating sessions, workshops and a writing challenge. For which there will be a prize.
The event is open to anyone between 18 and 25 years of age, regardless as to whether studying or in employment.
How to apply?
To apply to attend the school please submit a short statement of between 300 and 500 words stating: –
• two key contemporary constraints on freedom and your understanding as to why they represent an attack on liberty
• why you would like to attend the school and how you will potentially benefit.
Applications must be submitted no later than Tuesday 28 February 2017. Attendance will be at the discretion of the organisers. Successful applicants will be notified no later than Tuesday 7 March 2017.
Source: http://instituteofideas.com/livingfreedom Accessed: 03.02.2017
The programme highlights?
- Introductory lecture: Freedom and the Problem of Autonomy
- Classical Conceptions of Freedom
- Head-to-head debate: Determinism versus Free Will
- Freedom and Democracy
- From Rights to Privileges – The Refeudalisation of the Public Sphere
You can see the full detail of the programme from The Institute of Ideas here.
If you are bursting with energetic interventionism and commentary on our turbulent social, political and economic times, and still to reach the age of 25 years, then this could be the intellectual event of the year.